Rufus Wainwright: Release The Stars - and smile!

So I've been feeling a little lost lately. The last few months have brought a lot of changes and distractions (hence the lack of new posts!) but I think i'm finally starting to find my feet again. It's amazing how a lack of new music and inspiring surroundings can leave you drowning in grey dullness.
One of the hardest things I have found about life in my relatively short experience of it, is that whilst change is great, losing friends is heartbreaking. So what should one do when the loneliness starts to creep up? Listen to an amazing record.
Right now, I'm listening to my favourite Rufus Wainwright album, Release The Stars. Yes, 'early' Rufus fans believe his first two records cannot ever be surpassed in perfection and yet the compositional brilliance, rich harmonies and complex arrangements make this album sound as accomplished as any of Mozart's sonatas and a truly miraculous occurance in today's music industry. Only Rufus Wainwright could sample Phantom of the Opera in a song about...er...'shedding a tear' between one's legs. The sheer brilliance of this man is mind blowing and it is an album like this that can move you to the edge of wonder.
Here's a live performance of that incredible aforementioned song, 'Between My Legs', featuring an impromptu and rather amusing appearance from Jake Gyllenhaal that just can't help but make you smile.












0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home