Joanna Newsom: Live at the Royal Albert Hall, September 28th, 2007

In one of London’s most prestigious and jaw-dropping venues, Joanna Newsom’s child-like voice echoed around the world-renowned domed room in a way that can only be described as mesmerising. With her band comprising an incredibly adept violinist, banjo player and timpani drummer, Joanna’s songs cascaded through the acoustics with heart-stopping clarity, reaching every corner of the breath-taking hall.
The songstress plucked and wailed in her characteristically soulful way through the whole of her latest album, ‘Ys’, plenty of its predecessor, ‘The Milk-Eyed Mender’, whilst also finding time to treat us to a new song and a traditional Scottish folk song. Support act The Moore Brothers provided beautiful harmonies on the latter, their voices melding perfectly with Joanna’s sentimental evocations.
This was undoubtedly one of the best performances I have ever witnessed. Whilst the fact that I was seated in the centre of the front row certainly helped (for once I could actually see at a gig, shocking!), I genuinely believe that even those crammed up into the rafters were as blown away as I was.
Joanna’s wide-eyed honesty, coupled with the sight of her tiny frame clasping the enormous harp she lugs everywhere with her – apparently even to her hotel room, given she recorded an entire EP in one – was captivating. Despite her rural Californian roots in the mining town of Nevada City, Joanna sounds more of Appalachian descent, given the folk-tinged medievalism of her music. There is a real sense of history and almost ‘Tuder-esque’ depth to her writing and lyricism that is astounding in someone so young. At twenty-five, Joanna Newsom has reached unprecedented levels of maturity in her songwriting, whilst her endearing appearance and miniature stature only add to her quaint and engaging air.
Staggering, confounding and dare I say it, life-altering, this was truly a career-defining performance that will convince all of the artsy sorts that I overheard saying ‘I’m only here because it’s the Albert Hall’, that this is a venue and level of accomplishment well and truly deserved.












0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home