Acoustic Breakdown Gone Country

by Hannah Dudley


Country Music: A way of life to many but completely underrated in the UK. I'm going to help change that here as I review and introduce country classics old and new, filtering the trite from the truly brilliant and dispelling your notions that country is corny. A lot of it is, but even then it can be great.


Opinions expressed are all mine and uninfluenced by external factors!

HANNAH DUDLEY on MYSPACE
Subscribe to my feed

Friday, May 18, 2007

Two New Songs Released: 'As I Am' and 'Dear Chicago'


First up, As I Am, is easily one of the strongest songs I've written. I also love to play it. It has a country-rock vibe, and really plays on harmonies, building towards a pretty powerful climax in the bridge. As usual, the lyrics are intensely personal but will probably only really make sense to me (the way I like it!)...

As I Am

Would love to hear your comments.

Now, picking songs to cover is usually a fairly obvious process. I do, however, like to go against the grain. So when I was strumming around to a variety of songs by my favourite artist, Ryan Adams, Dear Chicago was arguably the least obvious choice and yet rapidly became a firm favourite. The song is incessently performed by Ryan at his live shows but commercially, was 'lost' on his 'lost' (and entirely underrated) album, Demolition.

For me, nothing could quite beat the darkness of the lyrics, which pair musings of suicide and loneliness with the vocal realization of having fallen out of love with someone that at one point, was your entire existence. I can't help it - I'm just a sucker for shit like that.

Dear Chicago

It also seems fitting to share these new recordings with you following a rather hectic week, the highlight of which was an amazing message from another one of my idols, Loni Rose, whose breathtaking music has filled my head for years and who has just released a new EP, Shine.

These ones are for Loni!

Enjoy and let me know what you think...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home